Several years ago I began doing what I call a "Senior Safari" to use as a marketing tool. I organize a group of high school juniors and or seniors for a trip to Moab for a photography shoot. Usually we leave in the morning putting us in Moab close to lunch time. Naturally they are hungry so I treat them to a Chinese buffet after which we travel to so locations along the south side of the Colorado river where we shoot until sundown then return home. The following week I host a party at my residential studio for the unveiling of their portraits. The kids have had a great time with this event. There is no charge to the kids for this trip if they are willing to help me with facebook marketing about the trip and bring friends to the unveiling party as well as put some effort into clothing selection and accessorizing. In essence this becomes and opportunity for a free senior portrait session. I've listed some of the details below. If you are interested or have a teen that might be interested in organizing a Senior Safari please contact me at the studio.
1. While I can be pretty flexible the more lead time I have the more chance I will be available on your desired date.
2. I must have 5 to 6 kids available for the safari.
3. I must have at least one male student. (An equal number of each is my preferred choice.)
4. The best times are in the fall or spring.
5. While Moab has always been my destination I will be glad to entertain other venues. A number of things must be considered. Travel time, lighting possibilities, and the ability to feed the kids are among the the most important.
6. The kids must be of good demeanor and willing to follow instructions for the shoot.
7. Parents must sign an approval form.
8. I do not directly market their portraits to the kids other than the excitement they get from seeing the images. At the unveiling party I show a slide show of many of their photographs. There will be large canvas portraits on display, and I will gift them some wallet sized photos of my favorite image. Having said that - their portraits will be for sale. Because the party is about them I do not do sales during that time. Parents attending the party can schedule an appointment to come in at a separate time to view their graduate's portraits and make a purchase if they desire. There is no obligation.